FAQ – Click on SDX2 manual for complete instructions
We recommend calling your pool builder or a pool professional
This is a job for a professional pool tech drained in drain safety to make sure your pool drain remains VGB compliant. They will need to blow the drain line backwards with Compressed air or a pump discharge of 50 to 60 GPM. A diver may also be needed to remove the top of the drain to allow all the debris to be removed.
It is recommended you contact a pool professional to winterize your pool properly.
- Remove grate from upper SDX2 and install blow through plug and blow line until air comes from lower grate.
- Install blow through plug in pump and blow line to achieve airlock to lower SDX2.
- Install blow through plug in pump and blow line to achieve airlock to SDX2.
This may not be the only means to winterize and may not be the best option in all environments. It is up to the service professional to provide adequate winterization.
Winterization anti-freeze is to be used as necessary or when required.
Paramount drain covers MDX-R3, SDX2, Buzztop, and MDX2 (the part exposed to UV rays) and threaded fasteners must be replaced every 5 years form installed date or whatever date is engraved on the cover.
- If your pool was built before 2009, it may have a drain(s) that is not compliant with the VGB Pool and Spa Safety Act (new national law concerning drain safety), and it must be replaced if you remodel the pool.In-floor cleaning systems remove debris they sweep up through the drain and must have an approved VGB debris accepting drain installed. Your pool refinish company must call Paramount before starting to find out which of these drains will work on your pool. In most cases some amount of demolition will be required. Paramount 800-621-5886.
- All nozzles in the pool are specific to the body they are in and must be removed and marked so they are replaced in the proper body.
- Plaster caps to protect the bodies and lines for the in-floor system are available and need to be used prior to start of demolition thru the refinishing process. The refinish company should call Paramount 800-621-5886.
- These drains need to be replaced with an VGB compliant MDX2 cover. If you are not re-doing the finish of your gunite pool, or you have a vinyl liner pool, you need to have the MDX2 Retro, part # 004-202-2221-XX, installed by a pool company to meet the new VBG Pool and Spa Safety Act. . On vinyl pools you may also need new gaskets and screws.
- You will also need to replace the cover of the SDX with a new SDX2 cover, part number 005-252-2097-XX.
- The MDX2, MDX3, SDX/SDX2, Super Flow 360 and Buzz Top covers must be replaced within the time engraved on the cover install.
These tools are not available to the home owner and those products should not be disassembled by any one that is not trained or qualified. You should call trained people such as your pool builder and many pool service companies.
Drain suction is dangerous and if the drain cover is tampered with or not installed properly the outlets may become unsafe and not in compliance. The safety screws are to discourage un-trained people from working on them.
Two points of suction are safer than one and are now required by the VGB National law for swimming pools. The exception is a drain that is designed as unlock-able.
On a pump with the main drain and one or more skimmer line(s), the skimmer(s) can only have one skimmer open at a time and it must be reduced to 1/3 of the way open otherwise the GPM pulled through the main drain will be so small that debris can be caught in it and will build up until the line is partially to fully blocked.